Fashion blogging can seem like a daunting, scary hobby that only being like Susie Bubble or Brian Boy can dabble in. But that’s certainly not the case! Anyone of any interest level in fashion can start up their own blog. I started mine, Someone Like You, three and a half years ago, and as corny as it sounds, it has changed my life! Here’s a few reasons you should consider dipping your toes into the water of fashion blogging.
1. It looks great on resumes. Typically, having a blog wouldn’t benefit you in the working world when applying for a job, but in the fashion industry you would be surprised at how serious blogs are taken. Having a blog shows you’re invested and interested in fashion first hand, not just saying you are. Blogging allows you to show your abilities and demonstrate your passion, showing employers you mean business. A lot of fashion industry places hire blogging positions, as well, to run their companies’ personal fashion blogs. Having your own never hurts to show you’ve got what it takes.
2. Connections. Whether it be personal or professional, fashion blogging has allowed me to meet so many incredible people on the internet and in person. Through my blog, I’ve found an incredible group of ladies (and even some men!) who have been an awesome support system for me as I find my way through life and style. I’ve had the chance to meet some in person who live close or even go to Kent, and we’ve become actual life friends. I’ve also made a lot of industry connections. I’ve worked with the Goodwill Operation in Akron and met the head of public relations, been in contact with the heads of Aeropostale in New York and been offered multiple jobs after college through people I’ve formed relationships with through my blog. Pretty awesome!
3. Expressing your creativity. Having a fashion blogs means you can do anything and everything with it. Photos of your everyday outfits, updates on runway shows or even reviews on beauty products. It’s up to you! Having a fashion blog is like creating a garment or piece of art. At the end of the day you’ve put in a lot of effort and hard work to show to people who are interested in what you can do creatively.
4. Free items. This shouldn’t be the sole reason to fashion blog (it should be to have fun!), but it is a nice perk. Blogging has become an extremely accessible way for companies to advertise on the Internet. They will send you clothing, accessories, shoes, products, etc. for free in return for wearing them on your blog or writing reviews on them. I’ve been blessed enough to work with over 25 different companies and have found that readers and companies really value your opinion and what you have to say. Your honesty and thoughts are important!
5. Opportunities. Fashion blogging opens up a world of opportunities that are really endless. You can get invite to New York Fashion Week, be featured in ad campaigns, and Seventeen Magazine accepts bloggers to be a part of their style council every year, getting featured in their magazine. You never know what incredible opportunity can come out of blogging that will give you an experience of a lifetime.
All of these things are awesome perks of fashion blogging, but it’s important to remember to do it for the right reasons. Do it because you love it and because you’re passionate. Blogging is hard, time consuming work that a lot of people think is nothing. It’s the equivalent to having a part time job, but the rewards and satisfaction you receive are truly worth it. Whether applying to write for the Blitz next year or even starting your own remember; your dreams are never too far from your reach ♥